Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sacred Space

Do you have a place in your home that is sacred to you?  A place to meditate, practice yoga, or just muse about the happenings of the day?

At this time, my house is just a mess.  I think it is clean for only a couple of hours before the mess begins creeping back in.  I am lacking storage space... a huge problem.  I have to do something to improve upon this situation because an unorganized house tends to lead to an unorganized life. 

As I begin my journey on the pagan path and revive my yoga practice (I practiced for a year and slowly let it go to the wayside.), I feel a strong desire to revamp and organize my house to mirror what I am trying to achieve in life.  I just am not sure where to begin. 

My goals is to do this without spending much money AND using a variety of recycled and re-purposed materials/ finds.  Once I can tackle organizing my house to some degree I already have the space to create into my own little haven.

We have an upstairs playroom.  It is the landing area when you reach the top of the stairs.  We have recently moved many of the boys' toys and other items into their individual bedrooms.  The items remaining in the room could continue to be part of the space or move into their bedrooms as well.

I am considering using an earthy shade of green for the walls... brighter than an olive but not quite the color of a granny smith apple.  Things I want to include in this space
  • a water fixture of some sort
  • a cozy chair for reading
  • a funky lamp with posable lights 
  • a mounted tv and dvd on the wall so that I can practice yoga and pilates
  • an IPOD docking station so that I can play my favorite music
  • large comfy pillows for lounging on the floor
  • a small coffee table or end table for holding snacks & drinks and reading tarot cards
  • & something red (I like to have red in every room of my house... my favorite color.  It makes me smile.)
What all of this will look like, I have not envisioned.  I know I will need photos or art on the walls... something to inspire and bring about tranquility & joy.

Do you have a space to call your own?  What does it look like?  What do you use the space for?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your journey to making sanctuary! I would love to give you some tips to create sacred space.

    Create a sanctuary of vitality, clarity and well-being with lotus flow feng shui. http://www.lotusflow.com

    You can also explore art that awakens, inspires and empowers at:
    Http://www.lotusflowart.com

    Blessings,
    Marjory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the help. I am hoping to get on this project during spring break. I am in desperate need of a place to mediate and just find peace.

    I am going to go check out the sites you suggested.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete