Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tarot and Your Little Ones

Mrs. B. has been in search of kid friendly Tarot Decks for her graduating 5th grader.  She has come across some fabulous decks, wonderful sites, and all around great information on the subject.

After looking through some of the resources she linked, here are some of the things I found.

The youngest tarot enthusiast will enjoy playing games with you.  Beginning around age four and through about 2nd grade, it is wonderful to just experience the cards.  Getting familiar with the pictures and what they mean to your little one and you personally.  The following is a game to help you get started.

Fairy Message

"You and your child mix the cards, face-down, on the floor in a big, messy pile. Explain that the two of you are going to make fairies together out of the cards, and that the fairies will bring special picture-messages for you.

When you’re ready, each of you chooses a card at random to be the fairy. Then, pick two more cards at random to be the fairy’s “wings”.

Turn the cards right-side-up and look carefully at the pictures together.

Ask your child what they think the fairy wants to tell them. What do you “get” from the cards? Notice the suits: did you get Fire, Earth, Water, or Air fairies? Encourage your child to make up a story about their fairy.

**Older children may choose four “wing” cards.**

~Cait Johnson"


Once children hit about 3rd grade they tend to be ready to consult the tarot for more personal matters. Consider purchasing your child his/her own deck as a gift.  Peruse sites and find one that fits your child's personality and interest.
 
A great place to start looking is Aeclectic Tarot.
 
School Age Children and Tarot
 
"You can teach the most effective way to ask the cards for information and explain that the pictures will help your child to understand things better. Encourage your child to take time with the cards regularly, simply looking at them and telling you what they see. One or three card spreads are probably best for the youngest ones in this group.
 
Or you could institute a Tarot Time — at the end of the weekend, for instance — to pull a few cards for guidance in the coming week. Make it special.  Light a candle, burn your child’s favorite incense — this often becomes the very best kind of quality time!"


Ms. B's Suggested Decks

Tarot of the Gnomes
This deck was just so darn cute.  I might need it for myself.

African Tarot

Whimsical Tarot

Barbie Tarot
I never played with Barbies as a child, but found this deck to be beautiful for what it is... photos of various barbies representing the tarot.  I never realized how many different Barbies have been made over the years.

Additional Decks to Consider

**Please note that I did not see all of the cards in each deck.  I am unsure of the nudity or the sexual nature of any of the following decks.** 

I was drawn to the decks by there color, simplicity, theme, or images.  I felt that these decks could possibly be a good place to start on the hunt for a deck appropriate for children.  I did think that some of the decks below would be best for a tween or teen, but I will leave that up to you.

Disney Afternoon

Baseball

Fairy Tale
Probably better for a bit older child.

Crazy Little Cows
You will smile when you look at these silly cards.

Tarot for Cats
Beautiful illustrations of our feline friends.

Children Tarot

Wise Gal

Ursidae Tarot
teddy bears on every card

Mystic Faerie

Creature Teacher
Beautiful illustrations of a variety of animals.  Made with children in mind.

Hezicos Tarot
brightly colored, with a whimsical quality

Ator
straight forward, yet lacking the fear factor of some decks

Tell Me Tarot
Perfect for a child that is able to read.  The meanings are written on the face of the card.

International Icon
Brightly colored; free of sexual or occult images.  based on the Rider-Waite images.

Lars-Kristian Holmsen
dark purple background, simple bright image

Fairytale
Most beautiful fairytale deck I have seen thus far.

Goblin

Animal Wise

Pet Owner
more of an oracle deck than tarot

Rabbit Tarot
Fun use of rabbits in the place of humans.  Traditional tarot symbolism is depicted.

Nature Speaks
A non traditional deck with simple painting aand a one word meaning on each card.

Vanessa Tarot
definitely for teen girl

2 comments:

  1. A wuestion popped up in my pre-coffee messed up mind - why shouldn't tarot sets used together with children contain nudity? (I would understand the "no sex" thing, depending on the actual images - nothing too drastic for the kids, but apart from that...)

    Of course, every parent has to decide independently how much they want their kids to know at what age. But I think it's really time people (everywhere) learn that nudity and the human body are nothing to be ashamed (or afraid) of.

    (A really safe tarot for kids is "The Fairytale Tarot" by Lisa Hunt - and the accompanying book has a collection of fairytales from all over the world, one for every card. Love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the question. I definitely agree with you.

    I myself do not have a problem with my boys seeing the naked human body at all. Others though may not feel as I do.

    I felt it best to warn parents in order to allow them to make the choice for themselves.

    Now, that I am thinking about nudity and decks (which I really hadn't until just now), I do have at least one thought on the subject.

    My oldest son is beginning to notice girls and nakedness for the first time in his life. It makes him giggle and get a bit uncomfortable for lack of a better word. I think I would be more apt to allowing the 4 year old to work with a deck that contained nudity as it does not destract him. The older one, however, I think would be more focused on the nudity than the actual cards themselves. I think it would take away from the experience.

    I really do not know though. I guess that is something to experiment with and see.

    You have definitely got my mind thinking this morning.

    On another note... I will have to go check out that deck as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete