Saturday, November 7, 2009

Samhain: Elsie and Pooka by Lora Craig-Gaddis

This book arrived just days before Samhain.  It was perfect timing.  I opened the book and read it cover to cover.  Most of the stories in the book are about a little country witch named Elsie and her cat Pooka. Elsie teaches Pooka all about her witchy ways.

This book has so much to offer:
  • black line drawings for the children to color
  • mazes
  • crafts: making an ancestor tree & pumpkin play-doh
  • simple ways to experiment and understand divination: using pancake mix or a pendulum... simple and fun
  • recipes: Granny Witch's Samhain Cookies & Spiced Cocoa Mix
  • & stories: Remembering Granny Witch, Pooka Sees a Ghost, etc.
This book provides such a fun way to include paganism into your life.  It approaches it honestly, but is void of anything that might scare away some mainstream parents if your child was to discuss it with friends.

I have already pre-ordered the Yule book.  I can't wait until it arrives.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooooooooooooooo waiting. Maybe I can read it to my brother and he might allow me to read it to my nieces.

    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete