Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How does Your Pendulum Swing?



I have been home the last couple of days with Little J and he has been enjoying playing with my pendulum immensely.

I made this snazzy pendulum and I must admit I am very proud of the way it turned out.  I hold it by the small end and let the large teal shell bead act as the swinging pendulum.  It feels more comfortable in your hand this way.

When JJ noticed the pendulum and asked me what it was for, here was my explanation:

A pendulum is used to help guide you and answer questions you have.  For example, if you want to know if you are going to have a good day and the pendulum answers "no", you can change some of your choices throughout the day to ensure that you do indeed have a good day.
A pendulum does not tell the future.  It helps you makes decisions in life.

For about an hour after that, he asked question after question.  He wanted to know if Brodie was his favorite dog?  If T Man was having fun at school?  ETC.  If the pendulum gave him an answer he didn't like, we would talk about how we could change things for the better.  We also talked about nothing really being able to be right 100% of the time so it is okay if the pendulum is wrong sometimes... Brodie is definitely his favorite dog.  He was not happy that every single time he asked the question the answer was always NO. 

Directions For a Small Child...

1. Ask a yes or no question... example- Will I have a good day at school?

2. Hold the pendulum in your dominate hand and begin to swing the pendulum in a clockwise circle.
*Hold very still until the pendulum swings back/forth or left/right.

3.  If the pendulum swings back/forth the answer is yes.  If it swings left/right, the answer is no.

I would have never thought to show the pendulum to my children, but the novelty of it (and the shear coolness, of course) has really struck a cord with my little one.  I think my next trip out might be to get some special beads to make him his very own pendulum.

Any thoughts?  Other information I should share with a little one?

3 comments:

  1. ~must LOVE children! very cute pendulum...and post...the word karma has been used in our home and now it is among the favorites...oh...its karma...oh thats your karma coming back...whatch out for karma..it cracks me up but slowly they are and will keep learning and comprehending more...one step at a time...the joy of being a mama... brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the fact that you are sharing with your kids.... they have such open minds and little seeds planted early are so much stronger when grown....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I shall do the same. :)

    Their minds are so open at this age, and they just soak everything up like a sponge.

    yay!

    ReplyDelete