Saturday, July 31, 2010

Selecting Stones and Crystals

I found a quaint, little treasure hidden in the depths of our urban city: CRYSTAL WORKS.  When you enter this amazing establishment, the senses are easily entertained. 

I was on edge the entire time because both of my boys where on overload.  Not an item in the store was over looked by them.  Hands siphoned through bowls of crystals and tumbled stones like a sugar addict in a candy store.  Wind chimes were plucked and incense were deeply inhaled.  They were in paradise.

That is until I gave them their mission: Find 1 stone of your choosing and 1 worry stone as well.  Then, I even gave them... dum-dum-dummmmmm... a price limit.  The youngest was fine... perfectly content.  The oldest, however, was in a tizzy.  He wanted some sort of magnetic hematite sticks.  Basically, because they were magnets.  When asked what he would be doing with them, he replied checking for magnet stuff (of course).

He finally decided that getting a stone was better than paying for the magnetic hematite.  With a scowl, he chose his fare.

With that out of the way, I left them sitting near the bowls of stones to examine and explore their treasures.  I went in search of help.  I needed a stone to assist T Man with calming, controlling anger, staying focused, etc.  The young man in the store quickly selected a bowl of... HEMATITE.  I should of known there was a reason T was so fascinated with the larger variety.

I selected several stones and had T touch them and hold them for awhile, so that I could continue gathering a few other stone... just for fun.  By the time I was finished, T had selected the perfect hematite stone for school.  He loved the way it felt smooth and cold in his hands.  He was very pleased.

As for the other stones I purchased, it was a modge pod of sorts.  Below I will list each stone and why I bought it.  Some were purely the joy of looking at it.

black banded agate: calming and soothing to the emotions, grounding
amethyst (both tumbled and not): meditation, inner peace, dispels bad dreams, helps break bad habits
oceanic jade: peace, harmony, stability,
Dalmatian jasper: protects from negativity
black tourmaline:protects from negative energy
tiger eye: grounding, helps use to be energetic in a composed and serene way
citriline: happiness, creativity, stability and confidence
sodadalite: rational thinking, logic, intelligence, and emotional balance
rose quartz: enhances all forms of love, encourages us to be gentle and peaceful
quartz: used for protections and clearing of negative energies

I plan to make a book of stones in the near future.  So far, it will contain a picture of the stone or crystal with a description and use.  Any other ideas are always welcome.

I am afraid that if I do not create a book I won't know which stone is which even a couple of weeks from now.  I always am in need of reference materials.

I almost forgot to share with you the 3 worry stones we purchased.  Each one was chose for a different reason.  T Man chose the eye shaped stone specifically for the shape... something about the "eye" called to his little soul.  JJ on the other had picked out the Dalmatian jasper and wanted a worry stone that was similar in markings.  To him his worry stone his worry stone is about as close as you can get.  My stone was chose simply because of the colors and the ultra smooth texture.  I absolutely love anything red and the cold, smoothness of the stone under you thumb was simply relaxing.

I have this feeling that my husband will not want me making many trips to our new little hangout.  Buying stones is not cheap if you go in without guidelines.  Each of our stones ranged in price from 50 cents to $4.  The smallest slivers of some stones can be much more than a larger chunk of another.  I would suggest you do some research and go in with a list and goals in mind.  This should help you make the best choices for the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment