Thursday, October 21, 2010

Samhain Excitement

I am so excited for Samhain to arrive.  Not only has Halloween always held a magical place in my heart, but Samhain was also the first time I truly began acknowledging my pagan path a year ago.  I am a bit sad that we are running low on funds because my boys will have to have make shift costumes that are obviously not a costume.

Little J agreed to be Frankenstein by letting me paint his face green and wearing a shirt with "Frank" in the corner that says... I'm Alive!!.  Gotta love 4.  It has been my favorite age for both of the boys.

I think I can talk T into wearing his camo jacket and shorts.  I would only need to get him a camo hat.  He can pretend to be military or a hunter.  Either would be fine with me.  I could use the same face paint bought for J to use on T to camo his face.

Hopefully, this doesn't ruin their Halloween fun.

This weekend I plan to begin reading my Halloween children's books and my SAMHAIN book by Lora Craig-Gladdis.  The stories about Elsie and Pooka are perfect and written very well... perfect for the youngest pagans everywhere.

I wish that Pagans had a Book of Shadows for young children, one for teens, and one for adults.  Each one filled with appropriate stories, and lore, activities, and the such for that particular age group.  Other belief systems can go back and look in their "bibles" and find needed information.  We on the other hand are always on the prowl.  Seems like reinventing the wheel at every new age.

With that being said... I will again put out pictures of loved ones on our seasonal table.  We will tell stories and share memories of our favorite times.  We will invite them to stay the night and spend time with us.

The entire family will work together on a special meal.  I will probably let the boys pick whatever they want.  They will be eating turkey at Thanksgiving and ham on Christmas, so I honestly do not care if they were to pick pancakes.  Just something that will be memorable to them.  I'd like to get a traditional meal planned that can be passed down in their families as well.

When the final decision has been made by the little experts, I' gladly let you know.

After dinner, we will go trick-or-treating and then return home to eat our dessert (again not yet decided... my thought would be vanilla ice cream... OR crushed candy adorning the top of carmel apples).  Yum-Yum.

What will others be doing on Samhain? 

I would love when J is in about 2nd grade to begin to hold an annual Halloween Spook Ball in my backyard... bobbing for apples, scary themed music, movies like Harry Potter or other mildly enchanting tales, pumpkin painting or carving, etc.  Overall a bunch of eating and spending time with friends all centered around the magic of the season.  Also, keeping my children and their friends close at heart as to deter the normal adolescent mischief.  It sounds like tons of wicked fun to me, but you never know what kids will think.

4 comments:

  1. Those costume ideas sound awesome. As long as the boys have fun with them it doesn't matter that the costumes aren't perfect.Face paint is always fun regardless.

    I usually attend the local public ritual and then we try to do something simple on Halloween after the trick or treating is done. Usually some divination and leaving an offering out for our beloved dead. For dinner it's been a tradition for us to go to our local BBQ place to eat.

    I love your idea for an annual spook ball. I'd come for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Just found your blog, and I love it. I am a pagan mom too (my daughter is almost 20 months old), and here, in Portugal, it´s almost impossible to find pagan books for kids... I really want to teach my daughter the pagan way.
    Even for me, I read all I can find, and never feel prepared. Oh well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your wish for activity books for the different ages- that's actually something I'm working that now- for my family.

    I believe it's 'like reinventing the wheel' for us because we don't belong to a coven. Covens can be a great resource for raising families.

    But for us solitaries, we have to find all of this information out on our own. I've found it a wonderful experience delving into the history of our religion and the fundamentals.

    The books I'm creating are hopefully going to be passed down, so my children won't have to struggle like us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not worry about the lack of fancy costumes, your kids will have a blast trick or treating, and being giddy about trick or treat night. You are doing a great job. My kids are grown now, but I can imagine how difficult it is to be a pagan parent, and the lack of good info for kids. Keep plugging away, though, and good things will come. Brightest Blessings to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete