Sunday, May 22, 2011

Honoring the Goddess

What can you do to bring your child closer to the Goddess? 

If you are able to be open and honest with your beliefs, this should be fairly easy.  If you are in the broom closet, things can become a bit tricky.

I feel like my boys (especially the nine year old) are more in tune with Christian beliefs than my own.  The children at school are very open in this regard.  It saddens me to think that I cannot be as open with my children as Christian parents.

Technically, I could.  The consequences to my children though are not worth it.  I know the Goddess understands and is accepting in my hesitancy. 

My boys do ask periodically about why we do certain things and I explain that we are honoring Mother Earth.  Eventually, I would like to refer to the Goddess as Earth Mother when they are a bit older as I feel it is at least closer to truth.  When they are old enough to make decisions for themselves, I will finally use the term that is rightfully Hers, Goddess.

I am not a technical, ritualistic or formal pagan in the least.  I do not believe I need to cast circles or preform elaborate spells to believe the way I do. 

I am very simple and natural.  If I look outside on a sunny morning and view a beautiful sunrise, I stop at that moment and thank the Goddess for all she is and all she has given.  On Sabbats, we say a blessing, light candles in significant colors, and preform some sort of task based on the time of year.

Simple, yet effective.

All of these little things bring my children closer to the Goddess...
  • walks in nature
  • growing a garden
  • learning about the uses of herbs
  • being thankful for the world around us
  • and understanding natures yearly cycle.
How do you bring your children closer to the Goddess?

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of books we have gotten from the library that have Goddesses in their stories. There's also the stories in Circle Round which my older daughter likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havew 2 boys ages 10 & 13. I am raising them Pagan. When they attended Public School I told my boys that there are lots of different religions in the world. Ours is not accepted by a lot of people. Mostly because they are scared of what they don't understand. Some people will say mean things if thye find our were Pagan. So, to avoid that we just don't mention our religion.
    This has worked for us. If someone asks what church we attend we either say we don't, we worship at home or we say the name of our local "pagan" church. Church of Our Lady. It throws them off. LOL

    ReplyDelete