Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sun Catchers

I wanted to make beeswax candles with the boys, but could only find one pound bricks of beeswax.  I was hoping to find the beeswax sheets.  I guess next year I need to plan ahead instead of procrastinating.


Instead of candle making, we opted for making suncatchers.  This was super cheap (about $3 per kid).  I use to love making these when I was little.  Waiting for the oven to finish baking them was always torture for me though.


Below is a picture of the final product.  Very cute.


Here is What We Did...
  • We talked about the coming sun and how we so want the weather to warm up.  We talked about where to place the finished pieces, so that we could see them every day and be reminded of the warmth the Earth will soon have once more.
  • Then, we opened the packages and laid everything out in front of the boys.
  • Each boy had a small brownie pan lined with aluminum foil.  The metal frame was laid flat inside the pan on top of the foil.
  • Next, the boys began to pour the colored pieces into the appropriate sections of their frame.  We looked at the picture on the packaging for guidelines.
  • I helped the boys fill in any areas that need a bit more "filler".
  • Finally, we baked the creations in the oven per package directions.
  • The next day we placed the sun catchers in the window by our kitchen table.  We said a quick thank you to the goddess for the coming sun and change in seasons. 

2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful and what a great way to celebrate the growing Sun

    ReplyDelete